Friday, May 27, 2022

Hissy Fits

 "Lynn, you always come up with the most scary pictures and 

stories to tell when I'm trying to sleep."



In case you have never experienced the wrath of a goose,
I tell you, leave them wide berth when passing on the bike
path or else where.
Years ago I thought Canada Geese were a lovely bird,
not realizing back then we have millions of them now
living rather domestic lives. And they are so very very
protective of their young.
I actually was bitten through a very warm wool winter
coat sleeve.  The bruise lasted for weeks!
So, every day for 2 weeks that I have been back to bike
riding close to home this family of six is in the same spot.
The path is now poop covered and the parents come out
hissing and spitting. I peddle as fast as I can without causing
a wreck for me or them.  If I were to land on the pavement,
I imagine they'd eat my face off!


Now on the other hand, this 4 foot Milk Snake is just fine by me.
It was sunny but still very cool.  The snake was trying to warm up.
I wanted to move him to the side of the path he was headed,
so I picked him up.  He was still cold enough to be stiff, but not
cold enough to let me do this. All of a sudden he flipped around on
me and I dropped the poor thing.  He would not have bitten, he
is not poisonous.  Just wrong of me to drop him.  So then he was
awake but not really wanting to move to safety.  I encouraged him
with my foot.  
I much prefer holding a harmless snake who may pee on me and
make me smell like a garbage truck than have a goose
attack me.


"Just how am I supposed to not have nightmares?
Eaten by birds, my natural instinct is to EAT birds.
And twisty hissy tongue lashing snakes slithering
around under the bed with me!"

Sorry Precious.  I get quite excited about wildlife.
I just hope other humans get a laugh and not be scared like you.


Thank you for stopping by for a visit and a comment.
It is much appreciated.



14 comments:

  1. I've never been bitten by a goose, but I've been hissed at and chased by them, protecting their young. Several years ago I was walking in town, headed to Value Village, I think, and there was a goose family along the side of the busy road, on the bank of one of our waterways. I crossed to the other side of the four lanes to avoid them! You definitely have to give them a wide berth!

    As for the snake...cool! No pun intended. I like harmless snakes, though I don't want them in the garden or worse, in the house. I did have an Eastern milk snake in the back garden once, years ago. It was a job to get the cats away from it, then round it up and take it to safety. Eventually I used a set of kitchen tongs to pick it up and carry it away to one of the green spaces below me. LOL. (I didn't know it was harmless at the time, which is why I didn't attempt to pick it up with my hands.)

    Precious, I hope you don't have nightmares...a little nip at bedtime might be in order. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back to the days when my "toddlers" were allowed to feed the Canadian geese in a nearby park pond, and we would especially take delight in their "babies and teens" as they grew ... yes: now we have discovered, sadly what a messy mess they leave in their wake, how they do not permit a picnic lunch with our grandkids in the park, and yes, can even be dangerous when close or demanding! And Precious: I think this "bird/duck" might be a bit on the too-big size for you to think about having one as a snack ...
    Happy Weekend all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds dangerous out there. It’s a good thing Precious is a house-cat, safe inside. P.S. Those geese are how we in Canada will conquer the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved that and I believe it. They have been mean to me as well.

      Delete
  4. People who scoff at the idea that birds are living dinosaurs have obviously never looked at their scaly feet...or been pecked by a chicken or flopped by a goose.
    The milk snake might bite...but being non-poisonous, soap and water and a bit of antiseptic should stand you in good stead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LYNN! Precious! BOTH of you made my afternoon! THANK you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn, you're brave to ride your bike past the family of geese. I've never been close up to one but have seen videos on TV of geese attacking or chasing people. It's funny but scary too. You are even braver to pick up the snake. I worry about snakes on the road too. Always hate to see them hit by a car. Precious, you need to stay inside until all this danger has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot imagine what it must be like to live where there are snakes Lynn. Its good that you know how to identify the harmless ones - I think I would be afraid of them all. My neighbor has geese that I feed for her & yes they can be nasty things. Hers are not quite so nasty as she has tamed them but they sure do leave a mess on her lovely cobblestone driveway. I cannot see the point .. give me hens any day. Pleased to see you are looking well Precious. Enjoy the weekend both of you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have geese at our lake and they sure don't like to be messed with, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, Precious, dad gets excited about the local wildlife, too, and there's plenty 'round here. Every time he sees one or more of the resident bears, wild turkeys or deer he can't get his camera out fast enough. We've read some stories about how geese can be rather vicious, so you're smart to steer clear, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Up here in the Great White North we can Canada Geese "Hissing Cobra Chickens". We would rather encounter the local rattle snakes than the Geese! Precious your belly shot is seductive er...SPECTACULAR! Purrs Marv

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yup! Geese are not friendly. Many distilleries in Scotland use them like guard dogs. Mum found that out on a trip to Scotland .She did not put it to the test. She believed what the people working there said ;) MOL!!!
    Mum likes your belly Precious. I looks like mine ;)
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete

Three for Tea Please

"Lynn,  if you and Dolly git tea and crumpets, do I get tuna juice and salmon patties?" Precious and I had one of those quiet week...