Thursday, November 4, 2021

Teeth Cleaning

               Precious had her teeth cleaned on Wednesday Nov. 3.  Things are

                not going well yet today,  Thursday.  She is not eating or drinking.

                And she is hiding under the bed constantly since she came home

               5 PM.   Thankfully, she had good teeth for nearly 10 years old and

               there were no extractions.

                                                                     


               No leg time for us last night.  And no combing.  It really makes

               me anxious, but I know she'll be OK.  

              The doctor sent home liquid pain meds.  She is supposed to have

              2 of the doses today and one tomorrow.  I gave her one last night and

              since she can't be dragged out, and she's not eating, I am not going

              to even try to give her more.



Why do good things for pets end up seemingly so bad?
I guess one good thing was her weight had gone down from
16.6 to 16.1.  And, alright, you've got me on this one.
I did decrease the amount of her dry food by about 20
dry crunchies a day.  I have always rounded up her 1/2 cup
by a slight amount. Now I am strictly keeping the amount
absolutely even steven with the rim of the cup.  I guess
it has helped there. And she has not begged for the missing
food before this.
The other thing about the doctor.  When her blood work
came back,  the thyroid number was 2.6 "in the gray area",
and her urine had a teeny tiny amount of protein in it.
So I asked if this was indicative to a 10 year old.  And the
answer was, the thyroid is just fine at that number and
the protein is probably because they stabbed her bladder with
a gigantic (Precious' description) hypodermic needle and the
protein could just be body material.  
So I can quit worrying about all those numbers and concentrate 
on how to get her back to her normal.
  One thing we do have going for us, her and I have 5 days home
alone.  That should help her be more calm. 

Thank you for stopping by for a visit and a comment.
It is much appreciated.


7 comments:

  1. Oh poor sweet Precious. They just absolutely HATE anything Vet related & they do get anxious. That will be why she is hiding. I would just let her be Lynn & she will come out soon. She will get hungry & come out I am sure. Thats good that you have 5 days home alone together - the quietness & regular routine is what she needs. And I feel for YOU too Lynn ... as we worry over our dear furry friends & try to do the right things for them & then this happens & we worry even more. Take care of the both of you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of us cats want to come over and visit Precious! We think commiserating will help her feel better. Koz says he hides when he is stressed and we gotta say, he hid for 2 days last fall when he went to the vet (and he did NOT get his teeth cleaned). We send Precious healing puurays and our love. We know having you at home will help her feel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed an anxious time for humans after their pet has surgery. But you are right: Precious will be fine. Much of it has to do with the anaesthetic. It can put them out of sorts and that, in turn, makes them feel disoriented and afraid. So they hide. That, and they are just uncomfortable and in a bad mood after the ordeal. Please let us know when she starts her return to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who's little grey nose is that..?
    And who's that little grey end tail
    belong to..? Bless!x

    Let her get on and do her own thing,
    she's probably thinking, Mum's worrying
    about me..so that's not such a bad thing! :).
    Read her a few 'Ladybird' books, she'll
    be fine..Bless!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear. Well, speaking from experience, I'm sure these five days of peace together will certainly help poor Precious. I'm 17 and dad says I did better than he and mom expected when I had my teeth pulled & cleaned and all that stuff. We'll be thinking 'bout Precious and hoping she chills and comes out soon, but it'll be on her own time. Be well, and don't stress too much, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor sweetie. Derry has had several dentals (Nicki did too) and many extractions and can commiserate. I remember that after Nicki's first dental (with extractions) our vet at the time said cats heal very quickly from such things, have to in order to survive (i.e. in the wild). Nicki didn't get any pain meds then either and was unhappy for a couple of days, then perked up. I hope Precious heals as quickly and that she's back to normal soon. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Three for Tea Please

"Lynn,  if you and Dolly git tea and crumpets, do I get tuna juice and salmon patties?" Precious and I had one of those quiet week...