Friday, July 30, 2021

Driverless carriage

 "How do those horseys know what to do?"



I rode 32 miles on this section of the Ohio to Erie 
Rail-Trail, but I had to drive 24 miles to get onto it.
It is just a continuation of the 45 miles of trail that I
have easy access to, however there is an eight mile break
in the Rail-Trail that is very hilly and curvey highway.  I am
not about to ride on it, so I had to drive to get on to 
this part.  
It is the longest section of shared horse and buggy trail.
The Amish do not ever want their pictures taken, and
I respect their wishes. So I took the photo after it went
past me.  However, I should have taken it from the front.
The Amish have a long ride from one end of the trail
to get to the town with a Walmart. So they start out
early and then take a nap. Yes, the driver was sound
asleep at the reins. 
I'm not sure how it works out, if the person wakes up 
when the horse stops or if the horse stops only if the person
wakes up.  No matter which, there are road intersections
that must be crossed.


This is a train depot in the town with the Walmart. It is probably a little city
the size of mine. And under the new roof and siding, this is the original
depot built in 1853..
I still find it remarkable that I ride on the same rail that my father-in-law
road as a brakeman and conductor from late 1940's until 1980.



"Ya know, Lynn, your stories put me to sleep
faster'n a buggy ride."

Thank you for stopping by for a visit and a comment.
It is much appreciated.




11 comments:

  1. HeHe! I'm with you Precious..
    It was a bit boring..zzzzzzzzZ!
    They sounded ALL asleep..even the
    driver was asleep at the reigns! :(.

    Seriously..tell Mum it was an interesting
    little story..even though we did'nt actually
    see any horses..the lovely photo of you at
    the bottom there, made up for it...! :O).

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were the horse, I'd make for the side of the road and some grazing. S/he obviously is very well trained! I wonder if more isolated communities such as the Amish have fared better over the past couple of years -- no crazy news and media through all of this.

    Happy weekend to you both, take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Amish do not practice good health, so the number of covid
      Amish is high and these folks are to be avoided in the stores.
      They do not use masks, or get vaccinated. I have high numbers
      of them in all the stores I enter.

      Delete
  3. Thats amazing Lynn - I find the Amish so fascinating. Gosh you would sure have to have complete trust in your horse to do that. I am guessing the stores have a place where you tie the horse up outside while you shop?
    Oh I have just read the reply to the above comment - that is so interesting that they do not practice good health - that is a worry & I think I would avoid them too. Hello to sweet Precious - sorry we have woken you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious! That was not kind!!! I loved the story and say more more more!! I didn't;t know they didn't wish to be vaccinated but I imagine I can understand when you consider their beliefs. I loved that the driver was asleep and that the horses know just what to do. I have never met an Amish person and I am fascinated by them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee! Hee! Mom worked on a ranch when she was teenager and horses are really smart. And How cool that you can ride the same rails as your Father-in-law! Thanks for telling us even if Precious thought it was boring, we didn't! But we love you anyway Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynn. Just traveled to your blog from "I Have Three Cats"

    Loved reading your post about the Amish. I saw them in Tomah WI where there is a community of them. How scary for them and their horses traveling the same roads as speeding cars pass them!!!

    Precious looks lovely! I have three cats and wish I could have more. Probably shouldn't, I might then be considered a cat hoarder! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patty. Wish Precious would let me have 3 cats!
      My county in Ohio has a high number of Amish. And the county
      next to us has the most in Ohio. You have to drive very
      defensively, as they can be over every hill top and around
      every curve.

      Delete
  7. Ah, railway stations... I wish the railways were still the principal means of mass transit; I think we'd have much less pollution and traffic congestion. Or more people could ride bicycles, like you and I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me han encantado tus fotografías, son muy bonitas. Y tu gato tan adorable como siempre
    Bsss

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great ride that must be. I'll bet by now the horses know the way so well they could make the trip without human guidance. Stay safe and have a great rest of your week! We're hustling to try to catch up with all y'all.

    ReplyDelete

Three for Tea Please

"Lynn,  if you and Dolly git tea and crumpets, do I get tuna juice and salmon patties?" Precious and I had one of those quiet week...