Friday, August 20, 2021

Bits and Pieces, Bits and Pieces

 "Eee gads, Lynn, stop caterwalling. You can't carry a tune

and you don't know all the words."



I just wanted to share a few things about life around here,
Precious. Nothing earth shattering like my singing.

About our very own Eastern Blue bird family. Boy, did they
have a hard summer.  Mom ended up with 4 clutches of eggs.
In total, she laid 17 eggs in the 2 bird houses we have up.
And she unfortunately only raised one clutch of 4.
Marauding immature blue bird interfered with one,
European House Sparrow destroyed a nest, and last
a four legged animal managed to breech the hard plastic
tree covering we had in place to stop climbing critters.

Here's Precious doing what she enjoys, butterfly watching.


Yellow Swallowtail on my deer resistant zinnias. And I do
believe it has been a great butterfly year.  I've had lots of kinds
here, with an army of Monarch caterpillars consuming my milkweed.
I did not get a lot of blacks to hand raise, which I missed, but 
plenty flying about.


Now on to the Gold Miner Camp.


Above is one of the gold miners 40 foot long  class A motorhome.
They dig in the river for wet "dust".  They 
haven't had a lot of dry weather this year 
so the river has been to high to pan for gold. 


And the above is new installment of art work at mile post zero
on our wonderful Rail Trail.  We are so proud the Kokosing
Gap Trail was paved 25 years ago for the first 14 miles. It was
a leading instrument for the rest of the state to begin building
on the 320 mile long Ohio to Erie trail.  We only have about 
20 miles in the state that is off  trail and on the road.
And there is some progress every year for more paved trail.

"I'm sorry that Lynn has been so long winded. 
If I had let her keep singing, she wouldn't have 
had time to bore you all. "


Thank you for stopping by for a visit and a comment.  It is much appreciated. 




15 comments:

  1. Well Precious if it's the 'Bits And Pieces'
    song from the Dave Clark Five from 1964...
    This is it...
    Can't imagine Mum trying to sing this..

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoRLIJJSG4o

    And Swallowtails are always yellow, while
    females may be yellow or black...
    Females have a splash of iridescent blue
    wash on their tales, while males do not...!

    Hope Mum's stopped singing now Precious and
    let you get some beauty sleep! Perhaps you
    could encourage her to sing summat quieter?
    Like 'Silent Night'...! 🐾🐾 😽 💞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sing so badly she shouldn't encourage me to sing anything.

      Delete
  2. I've seen a number of monarchs this year, which has been lovely. I've not been anywhere to see a swallowtail, though.

    Nature isn't exactly merciful (thinking your eastern blue bird family). But since all creatures have that biological imperative to reproduce, she/they don't give up. Hard, though, to lose so many.

    I'm not sure I'd park my motorhome in the middle of buggy woods -- lol. But I'm not a camper, anyway. Mind you, a huge motorhome like that is much different than tent camping!

    Your Rail Trail sounds terrific! There is a paved trail that parallels the Thousand Islands Parkway in our region (about 30 - 40 kms east of my city), runs between Gananoque and Brockville. It's well off the road and is great for bikers. It's about 40 km (one direction), so would be a good day's biking. Lovely area too, all along the Thousand Islands. Lots of wonderful photo ops there. :-)

    Take care and stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up the bike path you have. That is about how long our
      path is here today, after years of work on it. Yours looks lovely.

      Delete
  3. I love seeing Precious watching out the glass Lynn - she is so consumed with it. That photo of the butterfly & your zinnia is just stunning - you should print off some & make into cards Lynn. Your zinnias are beautiful - I don't have alot of luck with them here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had a number of yellow swallowtails this summer. The heat has not seemed to bother them. I have not seen a single monarch this year. And we too have motor home gold miners! Rock Creek - just up the road was a major gold rush area. Some people make enough panning here on their vacations to cover their trips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fascinating, informative post, sweet Precious. I'm glad you have a great spot from which to watch the butterflies! Mom and dad love exploring things like that rail trail. There's one up in Northampton, MA near where they used to live, and the old railroad bridges over the Connecticut River were the coolest. Now, as for Lynn's warbling- you're not alone. My mom does the same thing, and at least she acknowledges that she couldn't carry a tune to save her life. Enjoy your Sunday, dear girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A tough year indeed for the bluebird mum. Nature is neither easy nor kind to animals - fortunately, many people, like you, are.

    I had no idea there were still gold-panners, even 'recreational' panners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Precious, this was a fun post full of information and beauty. Mom has been so busy and constantly on the go that she hasn't seen any butterflies at ALL. Nor has she planed a thing but one lonely miniature sunflower. I wish I could enjoy looking at your lovely yard, Precious but you will keep an wye on it and tell us what is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zinnia's are mom's favorite flowers. And Cosmos too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bagus sekali artikel nya :)
    selamat dan sukses

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Great post. Very interesting and inspiring.
    Your blog is amazing. It's nice to read it, but I have to translate it into my own language :) I will be happy to come here and read!
    All the best! Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good post Precious! Oh my, you looks just like me, Smokey, lying there watching the butterflies. My sides kinda spread out like that too and Poppy tells me I eat too much, which is not true. We are just big beautiful grey cats, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete

Three for Tea Please

"Lynn,  if you and Dolly git tea and crumpets, do I get tuna juice and salmon patties?" Precious and I had one of those quiet week...